Saturday, December 5, 2009

Barnes & Noble in Bismarck

Sitting here in the Barnes and Noble... it's somewhat loud, very pedestrian, but does have free internet. I also have free internet at my apartment, but only if I go lurk in the middle of the hall near the boiler room and "Millertime" has his router turned on. Sometimes it will work intermittently from my living room, as well, but not reliably enough or quickly enough to actually do anything.

I survived my first week of work and plan to go back Monday. The first two days were mostly running around doing paperwork and orientation things, which wasn't too exciting other than in an abstract "Yay, health insurance" sort of way. The rest of the week I pretty much read and read and read... since it is the only "legal skill" that I currently possess, I did awesome at it. Frankly, I have no idea how I ever made it through law school because reading sucks and makes me very sleepy. But, I persevered and made it through a lot of really helpful information on the state, its water issues, how the water issues are funded, etc. See, you're bored already, imagine 100 or so pages of it. Upcoming this week (assuming that time permits and I don't get any real work) is Title 61 or the North Dakota Century Code. For those of you who aren't interested enough to look and see what that is, it's pretty much all the water statutes for the state. I figure the information will flow out of my head faster than water through the Devil's Lake Outlet (a controversial water related project, see what I've learned already!), but figure if I can at least read/skim the statute and know what it generally says, that's probably going to be helpful since it's pretty much the guidebook for my entire job. I also did a few small little research projects amongst the reading, and I think I kind of sucked at them, but then again, I'm also probably being too hard on myself. Either way, I know that I am learning a ton already, so I guess that's important.

As for my co-workers, there are only a few attorneys in my little group, but there are about 20 people in the building that I'm in. My boss is named Charles, and he seems like a really nice guy. Everyone who I'm meeting who knows him has been raving about how nice he is and how he is a brilliant legal thinker and how lucky I am to work for him. So, that makes me feel good... definitely better than a lot of responses people could give.

I have a secretary, Jolene, and she is lovely. Very bubbly and welcoming and pretty much the polar opposite my experiences with Diane. In fact, I'm absolutely positive that Jolene has spoken more to me already than Diane ever talked to me in the three years of working with her.

I have not one, but two paralegals. I choose to think this is because I am just that awesome... though probably more likely that I need twice as much help. :) Actually it's just a function of the fact that my client (the State Water Commission and State Engineer) has their own paralegal. Her name is Rosemary, though I've only met with her briefly, but she seemed really nice. And then there is Carolyn, and she is also awesome and super helpful. I don't even really know what a paralegal does, but she said she'll help me figure it out. So far what she does is answer my inane questions about how to fill out my timesheet. (Yes, I have timesheets still! The BANE of my existence!!! But at least I don't really have a chargability goal.)

Other notable characters of significance for the week include Kirsten (which is pronounced Shirsten), Maggie, and Jen. Jen has the office next to me and has been a paralegal for like 20 years, but she is only about 6 months in to this position. Kirsten does employment law, and she is super fun, nice, and has been awesome about showing me around and introducing me to people. She kind of reminds me of Arwynn a bit, though not sure why. And Maggie does environmental law in my department. Kirsten and Maggie are my age and are my new Bismarck BFFs (whether they like it or not!) Lastly there is Todd, who is the guy who did my job before I got here. He moved to Oil and Gas, but is being SO HELPFUL to me on the actual job related aspects of learning the ropes.

So, that's the run-down so far. Everyone here seems nice, sincerely and genuinely nice. They are all friendly, pretty outgoing, and very inclusive. I've even had little Christmas presents on my desk twice this week... a cute little metal snowflake note holder and some candy. If things continue like this, I'm going to love it here. And last but not least, I have not yet met the love of my life, but I do have a blind date tonight...

(That's just to get you coming back for more, especially you, KSPB!)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!! I'm not sure I like that "Shirsten" reminds you of me. I mean, that's just weird. But then I guess my name is pretty weird too, so if she's as nice as she sounds, I guess that's okay. I'm excited to hear more about your date!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete