Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bordering on Bingo in Bismarck

SOOOOOOO close! Tonight was Bingo night, and I've practically been going through withdrawals because it has been so long since I've been.

A little preliminary info on how Bingo actually works. There are three games. The first game is "Blackout only", which means that you must fill your entire card within 55 numbers or less to win the jackpot. Jackpots range on the order of a couple thousand dollars, sometimes more, sometimes less, but in that general vicinity. If nobody wins, which they usually don't, then there is a consolation prize ranging anywhere from about $25-$100. In that case, they just continue calling numbers until somebody gets a blackout.

The second game there is usually some sort of small prize offered, maybe around $30, for getting the correct shape. So, for example, tonight was an X, sometimes it is a T, sometimes it is an H, etc. Then they continue on for the Blackout jackpot and the associated consolation prize. The "jackpot" in the middle round tends to be smaller, less than a thousand, but still several hundred dollars. Tonight's was $650, with a consolation of $70.

The third game is also usually blackout only, with a large jackpot and consolation prize.

The closest I have come to winning at Bingo prior to this evening was getting within two of the consolation prizes. Tonight, first round, I got within two on the consolation prize. Second round, one of my cards only had 5 to go when they announced there were 10 numbers remaining. Then she went on to call 5 numbers in a row that I didn't have. Then she called 4 numbers in a row that I did have, and I was 1 number away from the $650 jackpot. Didn't win. Booooooo! Then she called 3 or 4 more numbers that still weren't my number, and somebody else won the consolation prize. So close! Third round, got down to within a few numbers for the jackpot. Then hit a streak on the consolation round. Got within one number AGAIN! Again, so close!

I have renewed vigor for the game, however. Plus, I figure with summer coming on, my chances of winning are higher. People will be more likely to want to be outside rather than in the smokey bar, which means that the chances of winning at least the consolation prize should go up with less people playing. It's going to happen one of these days, I know it. And then you can all stop making fun of me for being an old lady, even though the people I go with are even younger than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment