Monday, January 11, 2010

Beautiful in Bismarck

So I have a new favorite thing about being here. Although I guess since I didn't have an old favorite thing, this is more like my inaugural favorite thing. This morning when I got up there was a weather alert flashing on my computer, and it was for freezing fog. I get what that means in theory, but I feel like it isn't something that I'm accustomed to. In reality what that means is that you can't see shit on your dark drive to work. I couldn't even see the capitol building, which is normally lit up like a permanent, ugly, weird looking Christmas tree. What is also means is that when the sun comes up, everything is absolutely gorgeous. The frozen fog has covered everything in some sort of frost/ice/snow, so everything is white. And then when the sun really comes out and it starts to warm up a little, everything turns silver. I wish I wouldn't have been at work already so I could have gone and taken some pictures. (I mean, this presumes that my camera was here rather than laying on my kitchen counter where my freaking movers still haven't gone to pick it up... but I digress...) Of course, it is currently winter and there is snow on the ground, so it kind of just looks like a picture postcard for winter. However, when I was out here for my interview in November, this also happened. I just didn't know at the time what it was. It was even more amazing then because there was no snow on the ground, but all the trees and fields were still all white and silvery. Anyway, frozen fog is my new fab fave. (P.S. - Plus, I don't know under what precise weather conditions this occurs, and if you care, do your own Wikipedia search you lazy bum... What I do know is that a temperature with a positive sign in front of it was involved!)

No comments:

Post a Comment