Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Briney Beer in Bismarck

So I went out for a hot Tuesday night on the town with my coworkers and a couple of their friends. We went to The Lonesome Dove (doesn't that just sound like a ND bar?) and played B-I-N-G-O! For $12, it was a pretty good time, I'm not gonna' lie. There were a couple cowboys there, but not as many as usual they told me. Anyway, the highlight of the evening was the expansion of my culinary knowledge... Apparently it is commonplace here to put vegetables in your beer... specifically pickles. Pickles in Beer! I don't drink a lot of beer, so maybe this is more commonplace than I think, but I've never seen it before to my knowledge. The other girl had olives in her beer, which I also thought was odd. And when I asked about the pickle in the beer, I was the weird one. Her response was, "Where are you from??" Once she finished most of her beer, she then took the pickle out and ate it. In my head, I thought, "O^2, for gross!"

2 comments:

  1. I suppose once one is putting pickles in one's beer, olives aren't a large jump. I mean, bloody marys take one or the other or both, right? Each is a salty veggie?

    As a fellow non-beer drinker, I am equally perplexed, but as my husband is a world-renowned (in his own mind at least) beer drinker, I am expert enough to tell you that that is gross and weird. Especially the eating of it after. Ick.

    Next time, make sure there are more cowboys around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked my friend who also is a world-renowned (in his own mind) beer drinker if it was normal and his response was, "It may be normal in ND, but I've never seen that before!" I've decided that I plan to try it, preferably at a wedding where the beer is free and it will freak people out.

    Fruit is not as much of a stretch for me, and in Bloody Mary's, you are already dealing with the whole vegetable thing anyway, so it's ok.

    Next time, I defininitely hope there will be more cowboys. They tell me the weekend is the time for that.

    ReplyDelete