Sunday, January 31, 2010

Boys in Bismarck

It has been a fun-filled week here. My stuff FINALLY got here this week, so I am sleeping in a bed again... it's like sleeping in the clouds of heaven after all this time on the floor. My movers did an amazing job, I'm really impressed and appreciative.

The date that I was supposed to have for the last two weekends finally happened. He told me only death would cause a cancellation this weekend, and thank goodness it didn't come to that. So, Friday night I went out with Rob. He lives two hours away, but drove down here, took me out to dinner, to the Bismarck Bobcats hockey game, and we finished up at B-Dubs playing trivia. All in all, a good time. Unlike Courteous Cody, this guy was trying to feed me non-stop. He also ate all his own food, didn't talk with the crazy accent, and the weirdest thing I found out about him was that he doesn't like drinking out of straws. I also found out that years ago when he lived in Bismarck, he rented a basement from an older lady here in town. Turns out that my co-worker now rents that same basement apartment. Anyway, we saw the older lady at the hockey game, Bernie is her name. Bernie told my co-worker that my date "has a heart of gold", so apparently he is also kind to the elderly. He does have an odd obsession with Disney, and he is totally and completely obsessed with hockey. I know these qualities will actually endear him to some of my friends, so they aren't complaints at the moment, just observations. Overall, I have not too much to say because he actually seems to have some potential so far. Oh yeah, and he also brought me a flower, which while totally cheesy, I totally go for such romantic gestures. We'll see what the coming weeks bring on that front. Could it be that I might actually have a good Valentine's Day for the first time in my entire life??? Let's not get carried away quite yet.

Last night I went out with a new friend, her boyfriend (who I know from work), and some of their friends. We went to dinner at one of the "fancy" restaurants in town, which I didn't think was really that great other than the ample supply of Coke. Then we also went to the hockey game. I'm damn near a groupie at this point, I really felt like I should have bought some merchandise and had it signed by the players after the game! Anyway, the main purpose of me joining on this little adventure was so that I could meet the single friend of the group, though he did not know this was the case. While I could tell that he is a very nice kid, he was extremely awkward, which was also exacerbated by his very thick accent. He got very drunk at the hockey game, and preceded to drink more once we got to the bar. At some point he got ahold of some chewing tobacco, which he then had pieces of all over his face because he was too drunk to get it in his mouth. He walked away for a few minutes, and then when he came back to the table, he walked right over, picked up my glass, and spit in my drink. At that point, we called it an evening and left (well, he stayed, but me and my other friends left.) Needless to say, not only will I not be going out with him since he is not at all my type and totally awkward, I can't handle chewing tobacco, let alone someone spitting in my drink. I think it may even be worse than smoking. I was completely disgusted and my friends were mortified at his behavior. On a good side note, I also met a really awesome guy (who is married with a kid, so not awesome in the dating kind of way) who is also friends with this group and seems like SO much fun and is definitely the kind of person I like to hang with. I assume his wife is equally awesome, though I've not yet met her because she stayed home with the baby.

As another side note, I was told by people both nights how good looking I was, so that's a nice little ego boost. I would have thought with all the blond German/Norwegian looking girls running around that I would be just another average blender-inner, but apparently not. As my friend Amie likes to say, it must be because I'm kind of a big deal.

So, that's the haps from the tundra. We must be heading towards the spring thaw because it's currently all the way up to -1. Practically time for me to go back to Michigan and pick up Godiva (the convertible).

1 comment:

  1. I love your dating stories. SO MUCH. No idea what I would do without them. For real.

    ReplyDelete