Sunday, January 3, 2010

Brrrrr in B-b-b-b-bismarck

I've decided that there are a few big advantages to living in a sub-zero climate:

1. It's very quiet outside, peaceful, and the air smells clean. Also, it's so quiet that even with your ears bundled up you can hear people coming because of the squeaky crunch of snow. Therefore, nobody is ever likely to sneak up on you, nor are you likely to be hit by a car while on foot.

2. You can dress badly and nobody can tell. One of my favorite things about living in Howell was that I could walk into Walmart without having showered, brushed my teeth, put on a bra, or brushed my hair, wearing clothes that even a blind person would know don't match, and nobody would look at you funny. (Not that I did this often, but sometimes you are just extra lazy, sick, or need to make a semi-emergency grocery run.) Anyway, living here in Bismarck ramps this perk up to a whole new level. Not only can you do the whole unmatched-unwashed thing, but nobody can even tell because it's so cold that you have a coat and hat and boots and gloves on all the time. As long as you willing to wear pants and an actual hat (instead of earmuffs or a headbands like I prefer), nobody would even know what a sleaze you are underneath all your cold gear garb.

3. If your freezer or refrigerator gets too full, you can just set stuff out on the balcony. In addition, when you have leftovers from a restaurant or buy frozen items at the grocery store, you don't have to rush right home. You could go buy a gallon of ice cream and then go see a movie, shop at the mall, browse the bookstore, and then meander home. It's sorta' like driving around in a mini-deep freeze.

4. Since nobody in my pre-ND life has ever been to ND before, especially in the winter, and since the perceived horrors of the ND winter are legendary, I ipso facto win all arguments/discussions about cold and shitty weather.

I'm sure I have more of these gems, but it's hard to just come up with them by sitting here and blogging from my warm warm apartment. They'll have to come to me while I'm out enjoying the frozen peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment